Saturday, January 19, 2013

Statistics Graph









This graph is of a scatter plot I created using the state statistics given to us in the lab. It is a plot of only the California data. The graph shows the relationship between time (Year) and the population.  The graph with its trendline equations is useful in that populations can be estimated further into the future.  It appears a better estimate would be gotten using the polynomial trendline.
One of the reasons I used this California data alone was to check that I received the same equation that I did when I first did the scatter plot using all 4 states as directed by the lab. The polynomial equation gave me a negative number for the California population in the year 2050 - this doesn't seem right!  I still have not figured out where the problem lies.
What it did for me, however, was give me a good chance to brush up on my exponential nomenclature as well as an experience seeing a statistic and thinking "Hmmm, this doesn't seem right. I should investigate the data further."

No comments:

Post a Comment